Alright. Let's start with life, then.
I've been packing slowly. Moving house. Boxes of candy tins, wrappers still smelling of ten-year-old artificial fruit; children's books on Greek mythology, thoroughly read, falling apart at the seams; a giant red frog, one of a pair, that Ismet and I bought at Rite Aid the day after Valentine's Day. I never used to think of myself as a particularly sentimental person, but the degree of absolutely completely not true that is has been getting clearer with each year, with every new goodbye. My dad tells me I've always been this way. On the last day of nursery school, he tells me, I was the only one who cried―who felt what it meant to say goodbye, he says. I don't care to think of myself as so precocious. But maybe I do have some trouble letting go.
"Does this bring you joy?"
Adele and Aileen came up to visit last month, to get a glimpse of my room (and my kitchen!!!) before I move to Queens―to a smaller room (and a smaller kitchen). Adele tells me I have a lot of shit. Marie Kondo would have a field day. Of course my dancing rabbit baseball cap brings me joy!! It brings me so much joy!! Of course my giant peelable banana plush brings me joy!! SO MUCH JOY!!!
"Would you have less joy without it?"
I've been packing slowly. Moving house. Boxes of candy tins, wrappers still smelling of ten-year-old artificial fruit; children's books on Greek mythology, thoroughly read, falling apart at the seams; a giant red frog, one of a pair, that Ismet and I bought at Rite Aid the day after Valentine's Day. I never used to think of myself as a particularly sentimental person, but the degree of absolutely completely not true that is has been getting clearer with each year, with every new goodbye. My dad tells me I've always been this way. On the last day of nursery school, he tells me, I was the only one who cried―who felt what it meant to say goodbye, he says. I don't care to think of myself as so precocious. But maybe I do have some trouble letting go.
"Does this bring you joy?"
Adele and Aileen came up to visit last month, to get a glimpse of my room (and my kitchen!!!) before I move to Queens―to a smaller room (and a smaller kitchen). Adele tells me I have a lot of shit. Marie Kondo would have a field day. Of course my dancing rabbit baseball cap brings me joy!! It brings me so much joy!! Of course my giant peelable banana plush brings me joy!! SO MUCH JOY!!!
"Would you have less joy without it?"